Welcome! Soon you will officially join the IDF, and will receive a military identification card as well as a Dog tag - (“diskit”), and even getting your own uniform. The question is, will you be able to do it right? Keep calm and don't panic, because we have gathered especially for you all of the uniform appearance rules and regulations - from shoes, to hair and jewelry. So, what is permitted and what isn’t?
Soldier, improve your appearance!
The Military Rules of Appearance and Dress Code
General dress code
1. Soldiers serving in mandatory service are permitted to wear underneath their uniform a tank top or t-shirt - long or short, only in the colors olive green and white. During an operational activity, you can also wear a black tank top or t-shirt.
2. If the sleeves of the uniform are folded - They should be folded above the elbow.
3. In the winter you can only wear a military jacket or sweater which is provided by the army. You can also wear a scarf and gloves in black or olive green. It is important that the fringes of the scarf are tucked underneath the military coat. And of course, the winter clothes must match the soldier's uniform as prescribed by his/her individual services, meaning that soldiers with green uniforms are not allowed to be with a blue coat, and vice versa.
4. Do not place a pin on the beret, except for your Corps pin.
5. You must wear the dog tag (“diskit”) on the neck and underneath your uniform shirt. Soldiers wearing military boots must have another “diskit” inside the shoes, in the designated pocket.
1. Male soldiers must have short and even length hair, without layering.
2. Female soldiers are allowed to dye (colour) their hair in only two natural tones, which integrate together. (for example, a single blonde stripe on the side of the hair, is not permitted).
3. Female soldiers (with hair that descends past the collar of the uniform shirt) must have their hair in a ponytail, with black or brown rubber bands only.
4. Hair clippers are not permitted and it is forbidden to wear them. A 'banana pin' that collects the entire hair is permitted as an exception.
5. It is forbiden to have dreadlocks during the military service.
Soldiers are required to shave their facial hair daily, before the morning lineup or before reaching the base where they serve. Soldier’s may not grow beards or mustaches, unless they have received an exception waiver permitting so.
1. Sandals are permitted solely for female soldiers, and only during the specific summer season determined by the army. The sandals are made of leather or leather-like material, with a clasp or velcro, and no heel.
2. Soldiers with military boots may wear only long, gray or black socks. In addition, they must always have rubber bands tucking in their pant legs above the shoe line.
3. Female soldiers with military shoes can wear black or white socks only.
4. Soldiers must make sure that their shoes are clean and polished at all times.
1. One necklace can be worn with a diameter of 3 mm and a pendant with a diameter of up to 3 cm (like the size of a half shekel coin). In addition, it is forbidden to wear a tight necklace to the throat, in a similar style as a collar.
2. Women can wear up to 2 rings on their hands and only one metal bracelet. Male soldiers are only allowed to wear a wedding ring.
3. There is no special restriction on sunglasses, except in lineups, ceremonies or representative roles.
4. Girls may wear nail polish in the colors: light pink, pearl white, transparent body color and polish. It is also permitted to wear French-style nail polish, but only in approved colors.
1. Yarmulkes (“Kippahs”) are not limited, neither in color nor in size. However, it is forbidden to wear a kippah with writing on.
2. Headscarves, or also Known as tikhl in Yiddish, is permitted only for married, divorced or widowed women who have a religious lifestyle. The headscarf may only be in the following colors: olive green, gray, black or dark blue.
3. Only female soldiers in mandatory service who maintain a religious lifestyle are permitted to wear skirts, and they may shorten so long as they are not less . The length of the skirt should not be less than 3 cm above the kneecap.